Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Story

Posted B4 (June 2010 on http://africanyoungwomen.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-story.html)

I might come from humble origins but I take pride in the fact that I have the ability to chase my dreams, take care of myself in every sense of the word and at the end of it all still emerge with a smile. I take pride in what I am. Looking from where I stand, I wonder why I ever wanted to be a man when there is so much more that I can be as a woman. From ascending as many steps in the world of education, chasing career and other goals in life, to wife maybe mother and who knows what else. A man's world seems to be simpler and uncomplicated but then ours is more exciting. Exciting in the sense that as a woman i have the privilege of pivoting above the world in a "4 inches" heels or even higher, tackling all the business that makes up my daily living without breaking a sweat no matter how hard the task is or how long it takes to accomplish. That ability to assume many roles and yet still maintain our womanhood is the beauty of being a woman. That is what I see, that is what I have come to love, and that is who I am.

Well, cynics would begin to say “she is part of the usual suspects”. Yes! That is correct because everyone woman, irrespective of her status should be “part of the usual suspects”- Empowered and liberated! My exposure in life has given me the best opportunities and has created for me, the platform to develop myself to the fullest and contribute to the socio-economic development of my community and country.

And that is my story, a story that many can say “oh that’s me” but also a story that millions more will wonder “what is she saying?” These are the millions we should invest our energies on to give them a decent life, a life that they deserve, a life that they are entitled to and not begging for. Think about it 

A sister an amazing blogger Delta Ndou from Zimbabwe once wrote to me in June 2010:
"Wow! Very profound... I love the vibrancy of your spirit, the resoluteness of your outlook and the way you are butter and steel in all the right places. Our womanhood and femininity is something to celebrate but our intellect, talent and dreams are things to aggressively pursue and asserting ourselves in the world we create spaces for ourselves to 'become'...
Powerful"!

1 comment:

  1. You have done it again. I belief you speak for every woman. Every woman should come up with their stories and with that we will be able to inspire many others. You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete